Frequently Asked Questions​

​Licensed services FAQs

What are licensed services?

Licensed services are regulated under the Tasmanian Child Care Act 2001.

These include occasional child care services that may be located in regional locations, which generally operate less than 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. Licensed services also include In Home child care services that provide care within a child's primary or other residence.

Where can I find out more about licensed services?

Read more about licensed services here.

Find a licensed service

How are licensed services regulated?

The Education and Care Unit (ECU) is responsible for applying the Child Care Act 2001 and the Licensing Standards. The ECU is responsible for monitoring and renewing licences, which are renewed by application every two years.

​Families and Communities FAQs

Where can I find information about...?

The Education and Care Unit cannot assist you with enquiries relating to schools or childcare payments. However, the following contacts may be useful in seeking information:

Child care assistance - Centre Link - 1800 050 004

Child care payments - Centre Link - 1800 050 004

Complaints about a government school - 6165 6466

Complaints about a Catholic School - 6210 8888

Student assistance scheme - Dept. of Education -

Information on Infectious diseases - Dept. of Health - 1800 671 738

School enrolment enquiries - Dept. of Education - 1800 816 057

How do I find a service for my child?

A search for services can be made here.

Read more about education and care services.

Read more about licensed services.

What does a Working Towards the National Quality Standard service rating mean?

The National Quality Framework (NQF) sets high standards for education and care. It purposefully promotes continuous improvement and encourages services to constantly review and improve the quality of care they provide for children.

There are 58 elements that make up the National Quality Standard (NQS), within seven quality areas. Working Towards the NQS means that a service has not met at least one of the elements in the NQS.

This does not mean that a service has failed to meet any of the requirements that pose a risk to the health and safety of children. In fact a service may be exceeding in a number of quality areas and still receive an overall rating of Working Towards the NQS.

Families are encouraged to check the overall rating and the rating in each of the seven quality areas to evaluate a service and determine a service's strengths. Talking to a service about their rating may assist families in their decision making.

What is the difference between an education and care service and a licensed service?

Education and care services are approved and regulated under the Education and Care Services National Law (National Law). These services include Long Day Care, Outside of School Hours Care (OSHC) and Family Day Care (FDC).

Licensed services are licensed and regulated under the Child Care Act (Tasmania) 2011. Some services do not operate on a full time basis and some receive funding through the Education and Care Unit (ECU) Grants program.

​Education and Care services FAQs for providers and educators

How does the Education and Care Unit (ECU) make decisions affecting services?

The ECU undertakes the core functions of the Tasmanian Regulatory Authority and applies the Education and Care Services National Law (National Law) and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (National Regulations).

Decision making processes are based upon the principles of best practice regulation and government requirments regarding professional conduct. Policy documents, such as the Operational Policy Manual for Regulatory Authorities, may also be used to inform decision making.

What information does a service need to display?

Approved providers must ensure a range of prescribed information is displayed at the entrance of the service, including: 

  • the name of the approved provider and the name of the education and care service 
  • the provider approval number
  • the service approval number 
  • any conditions on the provider approval and service approval 
  • the name of the nominated supervisor or, if the nominated supervisor is a member of a prescribed class, the class 
  • the service's current rating level for each Quality Area and the overall rating (or rating under previous NCAC system if not yet rated for National Quality Standard)
  • details of any waivers held by the service, including elements or regulations waived, duration of the waiver and whether the waiver is a service or temporary waiver 
  • the hours and days of operation of the service 
  • the name and telephone number of a person at the service to whom complaints may be addressed 
  • the name and position of the responsible person in charge at any given time 
  • the name of the educational leader 
  • the contact details of the regulatory authority 
  • if applicable, a notice stating that a child who has been diagnosed as at risk of anaphylaxis is enrolled at the service 
  • if applicable, a notice of an occurrence of an infectious disease at the service. 

A family day care service can satisfy this requirement by displaying the prescribed information at the main entrance to the office of the family day care service, and at the main entrance to each family day care residence and venue.
The information displayed needs to be accurate and current. Regulatory authorities must be informed promptly of changes to services. For more information, refer to Regulation 174 – Time to notify certain circumstances to regulatory authority.